About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Mercedes Harvey and I am your current Miss California Teen Achieve 2010. This is a blog I will update weekly of all the great events and fantastic/life changing opportunities that serving as your queen has allowed me to have. I will be uploading pictures and videos and then telling you a summary of what they are about. What I hope to accomplish by this blog is to help young women become interested in participating in the Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant. It is truly a one of a kind scholarship pageant based on scholastic achievement and community service, not just beauty. It will increase your self confidence, help you possibly win scholarship money and meet amazing friends for life, and teach you valuable assets about yourself. Don’t miss out! :)

Thursday, May 26, 2011

My Final Event: The Grand Opening of Children’s Place

            Last Tuesday was my final event as Miss California Teen Achieve.  It’s so hard for me to believe that this was my last event after such an eventful and amazing year. I have worked side by side with the East County Chamber of Commerce for so long that it seems so weird and unnatural to see it all just end. When I arrived at the Children’s Place, I met the owner and teachers that worked there. They took us on a small tour of the Children’s Place and I was introduced to about 4 toddlers that were in the day care center. I absolutely adore little kids so I sat down and talked to the little kids, playing with them and laughing at the silly things they did. Miss El Cajon and Miss Teen El Cajon Princess arrived at the ribbon cutting not long after and she and I went and took pictures with the children, and the staff. All of the East County Chamber of Commerce members had arrived, including Sherral, and a representative from the U.S. House of Representatives, California Legislature, and California Senate. Miss El Cajon, Miss Teen El Cajon Princess, myself, and the East County Chamber of Commerce all stood with the preschool faculty for the ribbon cutting photos and the presentation of the letters from each of the prestigious state and national departments. It’s such an honor to be present for the ribbon cuttings, because you are initially taking part in a once in a lifetime experience. After the ribbon cutting, I was expecting to continue on as usual, meet as many people as I could, take as many pictures as I could and say my final goodbyes. However, when I turned around, I noticed that Sherral walked to the front of the room and said “We also now have a second announcement. Today we are saying goodbye to our very loved and amazing queen, Mercedes Harvey, Miss California Teen Achieve 2010” She then had another member of the Chamber speak to the crowd about what a blessing I had been to them this year, and how I am destined for great things with my caring and loving personality. Then, to my absolute surprise I was presented with “Thank you letters for Outstanding Community Service and Leadership” from all three of the state and national departments: the California Senate, Legislature and U.S. House of Representatives. I began to cry because I was absolutely honored.  I had never in my wildest dreams expected to be honored like that in front of all the ones I had worked with so long, and a few people I had met a few times. I really felt like I was leaving my family and getting a priceless farewell gift like that from them just made it that much more sad to me to say goodbye. But I know that it will not be the last time I see them, I will be staying in touch and helping them in any way shape or form that I can-even after my pageant is over. It has been a phenomenal service for me to work side by side with such an Amazing group of people, and I can truly say that they are one of the main reasons for why I had an amazing a year like I did.












No comments:

Post a Comment