About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Mercedes Harvey and I am your current Miss California Teen Achieve 2010. This is a blog I will update weekly of all the great events and fantastic/life changing opportunities that serving as your queen has allowed me to have. I will be uploading pictures and videos and then telling you a summary of what they are about. What I hope to accomplish by this blog is to help young women become interested in participating in the Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant. It is truly a one of a kind scholarship pageant based on scholastic achievement and community service, not just beauty. It will increase your self confidence, help you possibly win scholarship money and meet amazing friends for life, and teach you valuable assets about yourself. Don’t miss out! :)

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Pacific Marine Credit Union Ribbon Cutting

Last night, I was invited by the Oceanside Chamber of Commerce to come participate in the ribbon cutting for the brand new Pacific Marine Credit Union headquarters in Oceanside. When I drove up, I was instantly surprised at how beautiful and huge the building was! It looked like a mini hotel, with its shiny windows, modern look, and a caterer truck out front. I had never been to a ribbon cutting with caterers before. I met the Chamber of Commerce that had already arrived and quickly introduced myself to the manager, and several employees of the credit union. They showed me around, and I was surprised to see just how big and spacious the inside of the Credit Union was. The caterers had set up all the food around the main room and people who had arrived were grabbing bits and pieces and just casually talking. Miss Vista Princess and Miss Oceanside Princess Elise Cruz arrived and the three of us were instructed to sell raffle tickets for the prizes being raffled off by the Oceanside Chamber of Commerce. I put my “business cap” on and went around to “working the room”. People were very generous to buy my tickets and even those that said they would come back, DID in fact come back. You have to be persistent, professional and poised when at a company event like this, selling something.  People are very friendly and they want to know that you are comfortable to be around before they feel as though its okay to give you their money. When it was finally time to call the ticket numbers, around half of the people that won their prizes were people that had bought tickets from me! I was very excited to see them win, for they were all such nice people. At the end of the night, I was honored to be invited by the YMCA activities board to be part of their “Princess Camp” in May! How fun would that be?! The best part of ribbon cuttings is you never know just what you might encounter, who you might meet and what you might be invited too. Every event is a new adventure, and that is why I cannot wait until my next one!









No comments:

Post a Comment