About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Mercedes Harvey and I am your current Miss California Teen Achieve 2010. This is a blog I will update weekly of all the great events and fantastic/life changing opportunities that serving as your queen has allowed me to have. I will be uploading pictures and videos and then telling you a summary of what they are about. What I hope to accomplish by this blog is to help young women become interested in participating in the Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant. It is truly a one of a kind scholarship pageant based on scholastic achievement and community service, not just beauty. It will increase your self confidence, help you possibly win scholarship money and meet amazing friends for life, and teach you valuable assets about yourself. Don’t miss out! :)

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Oceanside Heritage Day


On Saturday, I was invited by Eileen Turk, the director for the Friends of Oceanside Parks Organization to come take part in the first annual Oceanside Heritage Day which was basically set up to help raise money and awareness for Oceanside Parks and to bring people together once again. Eileen’s main goal is to help restore recreation to parks in Oceanside so that they will be just as well used as they once were. I thought this was such a good passion to have-because its true, parks are becoming more and more forgotten and becoming more and more run down and less used as families spend less time playing outside. So, when Eileen asked me to come and help support her at her event, I was thrilled. When I arrived, I introduced myself to several people and was even interviewed by the Oceanside TV station! I got to talk about why I was there: which was to sell raffle tickets, meet and greet, spread the word about the park, and just make people feel welcome. Eileen and all of her volunteers were so proud, thankful and excited to have me there. It made me feel so welcome! My mom and I went around and introduced ourselves to all of the people there-those running the car show, those playing in the band, the vendors, the dancers, and even the passersby. It was such a fun experience, and I will never forget how kind and friendly everyone was to me. I really will do everything to support and publicize the importance of Oceanside Parks ever since that event because I think that it is for a good cause, and it definitely is for the benefit of the community as a whole.











No comments:

Post a Comment