About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Mercedes Harvey and I am your current Miss California Teen Achieve 2010. This is a blog I will update weekly of all the great events and fantastic/life changing opportunities that serving as your queen has allowed me to have. I will be uploading pictures and videos and then telling you a summary of what they are about. What I hope to accomplish by this blog is to help young women become interested in participating in the Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant. It is truly a one of a kind scholarship pageant based on scholastic achievement and community service, not just beauty. It will increase your self confidence, help you possibly win scholarship money and meet amazing friends for life, and teach you valuable assets about yourself. Don’t miss out! :)

Friday, April 22, 2011

American Red Cross Bloodmobile at Pine Park in Carlsbad



            On Sunday, my mother and I went to Pine Park at last minute to help run a blood drive check-in table. When we arrived we were surprised by how busy it was and also by what was going on in the park. There was apparently a small cookout and raffle prize going on in the park to raise money and support for a man from our local community who has been diagnosed with leukemia. People, obviously from his family, church, and friends, were all there helping raise money for him and even come over to the table that had been set up next to us that was helping people sign up to give bone marrow for him ( or anyone else). I have never had a separate organization come help us on the same day but it was really phenomenal watching so many sign up for one or even both of the different donor-ship opportunities. During the time I was there, I signed up probably 23 people to give blood and even there was about a 40 minute wait per person, they still diligently waited for their turn and their opportunity to help save a life. I was honored to help serve these people because they were so determined to do what they could to help make a difference. It also reminded me that I need to give blood again soon! Its been a few months, and I know that I need to go ahead and go back and give again-so I can be just as determined to help save a life. Because it’s not just enough to do it once-you have to do it again, so that you are consistently making a difference and it’s not just a one time thing.








No comments:

Post a Comment